Friday, August 23, 2013

August 23rd

It's been grand. Goodbye. The End.

August 22nd

Second to last day of the internship! Today we did the dry run of our presentations...that took a while to get through everyone and give everyone the advice they needed, but it was helpful, I think. I didn't really need to change much with my presentation, so I spent the rest of the day reading through it a few more times to prepare myself tomorrow...another pretty short and easy day.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

August 21st

There's only two more days left of the internship, now that today is went by really quickly. I did manage to get my PowerPoint done for the presentation tomorrow relatively quickly, and spent the rest of the day touching it up, thinking about what I was going to say, and practicing my presentation (mostly in my head)...all in all it was a pretty easy, short day.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

August 20th

In the morning today, I started in earnest my presentation for Friday, thinking that I would easily have it done by the end of the day. However, I had a meeting with Jake at 10:00 (originally I thought that the meeting would be a brief checkup on my progress in my presentation), but he instead gave Ian and I the job of moving all the contents of the Insight Lab from its room on the third floor down to the new room on the first floor. This took all day, even with considerable help from some of the other interns. Thus, I made almost no progress on my presentation.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

August 19th

It's been quite a while since I had to make a blog post (I went on vacation last week)...

Anyway, it was relatively easy to get back into the swing of things yesterday, despite missing a week of work, mainly because I ended at a good stopping point on Friday before I went away (I had just finished (for good) my GUI program). This morning, I did a final run-through of my GUI to make sure there weren't any obvious errors with it that I had overlooked, and I sent it off to Vlad via email. After that, I spent the rest of the day finishing the UML diagram of the entire VoTech program that I started a few weeks ago, and thus finished up all the actual work I have to do for the summer. It now looks like this (obviously, it is zoomed pretty far out):

All I have left to do now is to put together my presentation for Friday, actually do the presentation, and the internship will be went by rather quickly.

Friday, August 9, 2013

August 8th

My program was finally, completely finished today...or so I thought. I did completely debug it, but after lunch I had a meeting with Vlad, and there were some aspects of it that he wanted me to tweak. "Tweak", however, is probably a misleading word to use...the changes themselves were rather minor and seemingly insignificant, but when I went to try to make them after lunch, some of them started causing me lots of problems...many of them weren't fixed by the end of the day, so that's what I'll be doing tomorrow. This whole dubuging process is certainly the most annoying part of coding that I've come up against so far.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

August 7th

There were several times across the course of the day today that I thought that I had finished my GUI, but every time I did what I thought would be a final run-through, I found some error that made me have to go back and revise my code once again. I am fairly certain that this occurred 7 or 8 times, each time requiring me to spend an additional half hour to hour figuring out what the problem was, finding it, and fixing it. Not a fun process.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

August 6th

All I did today, with the exception of taking some time to help Jacob with some of his work (he needed a second pair of hands again), was find errors in my code and fix them. Some of them, such as the issues with the Move to Top and Move to Bottom buttons that I mentioned yesterday, were quite annoying (although I did end up getting that particular issue fixed by the end of the day). I made the last of the buttons do something (the save buttons), but while I had expected that those buttons would be quite easy and I would finish with them quickly, it turned out that they actually were quite problematic (I couldn't get my files to save to the right places). Thus, I did not finish writing the program by the end of the day today, as I thought that I would.